Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Men in Black, and Life After Earth

"Do you ever look up at the stars and wonder if there is something more out there?" As I watched all of the Men in Black movies tonight I started thinking about aliens. A thought struck me as I was invited to consider an alternate mindset, what if we really didn't belong on this earth but were meant for another place? Would that change things? As Christians, we are called to act differently because we are not like the people of this world. We can't take the things we work so hard to acquire. All the money, cars, jewelry... All the attention we attract to ourselves and all of the power we gain is so utterly meaningless. In the end, we should have the mindset that the end of this world is only the first step towards eternity in a better one. In a place made just for us.
Reality Check: Do the people around me know that my life has one purpose, and only one? To glorify Jesus Christ who died for my sins and rose again, defeating death forever and saving my soul. Do my actions show the love of the God I follow? Everyday opportunities for me to act as the physical hands and feet of God on this earth bringing healing and restoration instead of selfishness and division.
And then: Do the choices I make today, that shape my future lead me on to the path God has laid out for my life? This one is tough. Culture wants to preach the idea of being "right", whether that is having the "right" political view, or wearing the "right" kind of shoes, etc. I have been raised to think first about what society tells me, then think about what I want, and then if God still can be rationalized into the answer that is a plus. We should be in the Word, asking for the wise counsel of Godly role models in our lives FIRST as we consider choices that put us on a career path, or maybe in big relationship choices who we spend time with and get to know and who we cut out of our lives. So much could be said about this topic. Maybe another time I will dive deeper, but for today I finish by just asking you to think about the stars, and wonder if maybe we've got our whole mindset wrong. I choose to live like this world is not my home. I am no longer defined by the sins of my past but now I am known as a son of God, and if my life does not reflect that I would hope that anyone who calls themselves my friends would have the respect and the guts to confront me about my failures and strive to help me see the many errors of MY way. Till I see His way and learn to walk in His path.

No comments: